Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Hey!!!! Nook over here.

      We finally did it. After two years in our home we finished our breakfast nook. I had added a window to bring more light in, and put up some old tin ceiling from a bar in nearby Cloquet, but that's where it stopped. It's basically been an area for dog food and extra dish towels. The nook tends to collect what we really should just toss away, except the dog food of course.
   
We talked a lot about what direction we wanted to go. We thought authentic, our first choice, but with the new window in there we could do the high backed seats we liked, We kind of screwed ourselves putting in that window. So we quickly went to the idea of benches. We toyed with that idea for about a year, then, without asking my better half, I did a little searching on Craigslist and found the perfect solution. Church pews.
   
      I purchased two 100+ year old church pews from a catholic church in Duluth. They were both 14 feet long, so I cut them down to the length of the nook, about 6 feet, then reattached the ends, no problem at all. They are the most sturdy seats I think you could ever sit in, especially for my fat ass.      

      Now what to do for a table? I had 10, 6 foot, sections of shiplap flooring used in a old Victorian home down the way. It was all full of staples, holes, and tar paper, perfect for a table. In no more than an hour I had the perfect table for our little nook.
     So that was that, all finished but the accessories. That will take a bit, but now we have a nice place to enjoy our breakfast and a little cribbage every once and a while.











No comments:

Post a Comment